Thursday, October 06, 2005

Acton-DFA Wrap-up and Victory '06

DFA Meeting wrap-up

DFA had a good turn out of twelve folks last night at Ken's in Littleton. I wasn't able to attend the last two meetings, so it was nice to be back and visit with everyone.

This month the DFA agenda focused on developing a solid, consistent campaign message. There were some discussions and exercises about developing a message that DFA describes as 27-9-3

27 words
9 seconds
3 points

This is an effort to construct a clear, and concise message. The sample question was: "So, why are you a Democrat?"

27-9-3 Response:
“I believe in right and wrong. It’s wrong to deprive children of health care, to start immoral wars, and to abuse governmental powers. It’s time for what’s right.”.

Personally, I think it's wrong to deprive anyone of health care, not just children, but that's a different DFA meeting, I guess. This is a great idea that DFA has about putting together a clear democratic message, but personally, I tend to focus on positives. I would rather say what I'm for first, rather than what I'm against, but I see the point that DFA is trying to make. I appreciate the work that DFA is doing to get folks the training they need.

Mike C. talked about his experiences as a Victory '06 Precinct Captain. Quick background: Victory '06 is the campaign by the MDP where they are looking for volunteers to walk the precincts in their towns to idenify democratic support, to see how the unenrolled are leaning, or get the unenrolled to switch over to Dem. Mike is offering to train people that are interested.

I have talked about the V6 campaign at my DTC, but no one seemed interested, so I didn't pursue it. Mike C. said that he did mention the campaign to his DTC chair as a courtesy. He didn't leave it to the DTC to take any sort of leadership role, and he recruited people on his own. Mike said that there was only one unenrolled voter that was sorta hostile to him, but not terribly. That's not what makes me nervous about going door-to-door. I'm terribly scared of dogs and here in town, although we do have a leash law, most people just allow their dogs to run. That's the only thing I could see as a potential barrier for me.

I'm going to put up links for V6 and for the Acton-DFA mailing list, as well as the MRDC mailing list. You can always join a list, just to check it out, and if you don't like it, you can always opt out.