Thursday, January 05, 2006

2nd Worcester Special Election - Campaign Finance

From the Sentinel & Enterprise

Tuesday, January 3rd was the deadline to file campaign financial disclosure forms with the state. In the lead in the democratic money race is Robert Rice of Gardner who has raised more than $9,275 and spent $3,930 in the reporting period between November 1 and December 23.

Michael Ellis, also of Gardner has raised $6,825 and has spent $2,400.

Mike McCallum of Ashby has raised $2,575 and spent $4,259, but he has also contributed $17,050 of his own money to his campaign.

According to the article, McCallum doesn't attribute his donation level to his Ashby residency:

"I started my campaign later then the other guys, so I would expect that my fundraising would be behind them," he said. "As I raise it, it will make the books balance. I also don't think there is anything wrong with a candidate spending there [sic] own money on a campaign."

That's a whole lot of money to be sure, but it will all come down to how effectively, not to mention successfully, that money is spent.