Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Leone on Death Penalty: Update

To follow up on my earlier post about Gerry Leone and the death penalty, I have received an e-mail from former Middlesex DA candidate Mike Festa detailing his initial misunderstanding on where he thought Gerry Leone's position was on the death penalty.

From Mike Festa:
"Just read your blog on Gerry Leone...I was wrong about Leone's position on the death penalty, but my information came early on in the campaign from a reliable source. I'm sorry that I put you in a position of having to apologize; would you please post that I accept full responsiblity for the misunderstanding."

First, I'd just like to thank Mike for the e-mail. He is a true gentleman. I think this is an honest misunderstanding and since there is not much in the way of issues on Gerry Leone's website it's not surprising to me that a misunderstanding like this could occur without a clear record.

As I mentioned before, Mr. Leone will be updating his website and I hope that he will specifically address the issue of the death penalty.

Mike also mentioned in his e-mail that in the next week or so he will be sitting down to talk with both Gerry Leone and Jarrett Barrios to talk about their candidacies in depth. Mike is not sure if he will endorse either candidate, but he will look into the matter seriously before making a decision whether or not to endorse.