Saturday, August 20, 2005

Change is good.... or not.

sco at .08 and David at Blue Mass Group point out the hypocrisy of former Massachusetts Governor and newly minted New York Gubernatorial candidate Bill Weld's sudden hard right turn against marriage equality.

The New York Post earlier this week asked Weld whether he supported gay marriage, and he simply replied, ''No." Then, the Times reported yesterday that Weld said he supported gay marriage only in Massachusetts, based on the SJC's interpretation of the state's constitution, but that he supported civil unions for gay couples in New York and other states.

Gee, you don't think the phone call from Rove had anything to with that view change, do ya? Yeah, right. I don't think the voters in NY are gonna buy that either.

It's interesting to me how two people can look at the same subject, come up with different views, and then completely change their minds. Sometimes, it's a good thing.

Take state Rep, Anthony Petruccelli (D-East Boston) for example. Last year Petruccelli supported an amendment to ban same-sex marriage and create civil unions. What a difference a year, hundreds of happily married couples, and the realization that Massachusetts civil society has not been remotely affected, can make:

"I think that has changed things dramatically," said Petruccelli. "And it makes it easy for me to look at this issue and say, who am I to take away something from someone that they cherish, that they already have? I think that is probably the strongest aspect of why I feel strongly about voting no in the [next] convention."

Look, I don't know this guy. He Reps an area way beyond my beat. and I don't know if there is some cynical reason for him to change his mind, but I tell you I welcome it and I hope that there are other Reps out there who are brave enough to really look at this issue, not just from a partisan angle, but from a human angle.

Hopefully they will see how the only real change in Massachusetts is that we are coming a bit closer to living up to the true meaning of our state constitution.