Wednesday, October 26, 2005

1st Middlesex District Rep. Race and Dem Meetup News

Last night I had the opportunity to talk to a potential candidate for state representitive. She hasn't officially announced yet, so I'm not going to mention her name just yet, but I am very encouraged to hear that someone is going to run against Rep. Robert Hargraves (R-Groton). In 2004 Rep. Hargraves ran unopposed, and that's just not right. I remember thinking back then, that I would like to get more involved in local politics with the hope that between the towns that make up Rep. Hargraves district (Ayer, Dunstable, Groton, Pepperell and Townsend) we could come up with someone to run against him.

In other candidate news, I also had a chance to stop by the Rt.495/MetroWest Dem Meetup at the Littleton Town Hall. Last night the group hosted a candidate's night with Gerry Leone, candidate for Middlesex DA and Deborah Goldberg, candidate for Lt. Governor. I missed the first part of the meeting so I didn't get to hear Gary Leone, but I made it there in time to see Deb Goldburg. I have only seen her make brief comments before at the DSC meeting in Ayer and at the convention in Lowell, so it was nice to hear her give a longer speech with more details.

I only have a few details to share because as I said before, I got there late, so I had to sit right up front. I always feel funny taking notes so conspiciously, so I just listened, plus Deb kept looking at me, and not in that, "I'm good at public speaking and I know that it's important to make eye-contact" sort of way. She looked at me in a way that made me think I had something on my shirt. So anyway, she made her stump speech. She talked about her family history, and how her family's company, Stop and Shop employed so many people. She talked a bit about healthcare. She wants to put "people first" in her campaign. She talked about her experience as a Selectman in Brookline. She also mentioned several times that we need to elect a business person to the Lt. Governor office. A business person? Really? I know Deb has a degree from Harvard Business School, but I think of her more as a Selectman, so when she said that we need to elect a business person, the first person I thought of was Andrea Silbert. I wonder if that is what other people think?

So after she finished her speech, Deb came right up to me and pointed to my nametag. My last name is difficult to pronounce because there is a silent "g" in the middle that throws people off. So Deb and I had a conversation about how to pronounce Italian surnames that have a "g" in them. At least I didn't have a spot on my shirt.

I think Deb Goldberg is a nice lady, and has a nice manner about her, but I just don't see her as Lt. Governor.

UPDATE: Big ole thanks to Marge at MargeBLOG for pointing out that I mistakenly referred to Rep. Hargraves as a democrat. LOL I guess I really want that seat for the democrats, but wishing doesn't make it so. Not yet, anyway. We have a big job ahead of us here in 1st Middlesex to make that a reality.