Wednesday, October 19, 2005

The Answer My Friend, is Blowin' in the Wind?


Deval Patrick was a guest on the Chet Curtis Report last night on NECN. It was a shorter interview than I would have liked but Deval had an opportunity to talk about some important issues.

Deval talked about how underfunding infrustructure in local towns may have contributed to the deterioration of the dam in Taunton. He made a great point about how we need to get through this crisis first, and then take a look at what improvements are needed and what type of maintenance schedule for all dams, public and private is needed. I think he made this point well and didn't come across too bitchy toward Romney.

Deval talked about his support of the wind farm down on the cape. He made this comment on that subject to the Boston Globe:

"We need to get serious about the energy supply and cost issues that are facing us in this country and in this Commonwealth," Patrick said in an interview. ''And I want Massachusetts to show that kind of leadership." ''We can't keep saying we understand the problem of energy cost and supply and the problem of global warming and then refuse to act when we have an opportunity to do so."


I honestly don't know where I stand on this issue. I wholeheartedly support alternative energy sources, but if I spent a ton of money buying property on the cape, I don't think I'd like an endless view of whirlybirds either. The point about having to do something to find energy alternatives is well made - and then actually doing something about it. Cambridge is full of Priuses, but that alone is not going to cut it. Our whole state needs to get behind this.

Here's a couple of great quotes taken from the show:

"We have to give people a reason to vote for a Democrat, not just against Republicans."

"I also think, that, like me, an awful lot of people in Massachusetts are tired of the same old thing and the same old people giving us the same old thing and they're appreciating as I do that if we are really going to seize our future then we need someone who is going to help imagine what that future is like and be a part of that future and that's what I bring."

Deval Patrick
Chet Curtis Report
October 18, 2005