Sunday, November 06, 2005

Deval Patrick visits FSC and I visit Deval Patrick HQ

Deval Patrick was in Fitchburg, Friday, November 4th touring Fitchburg State College.

"I'm so convinced that the same old thing isn't going to get us anywhere, because it hasn't gotten us anywhere," he told the Sentinel & Enterprise Friday before touring Fitchburg State College. "Massachusetts is at a very, very important crossroad, where we are having to choose between yesterday's leadership and tomorrow's."

I am DELIGHTED to see Deval Patrick make an appearance out here in Central MA and even more delighted to see the Fitchburg Sentinel & Enterprise cover it. I think folks out here would vote for Deval Patrick, if they only had any clue who he is. Getting into the local newspapers is a start. I would like to see him come out here and talk to voters also and that's being worked on too, but I'm getting ahead of myself here.

Saturday morning, myself and Michelle C., who is the chairperson of the Groton DTC, and Senate District Coordinator for DP drove down to the Deval Patrick Campaign Headquarters in Charlestown to learn more about the upcoming February 2006 caucuses to elect delegates for the 2006 Nominating Convention in Worcester.

It was great to know that there were so many of us, that the campaign had to split us up into three groups that met at different times. Michelle and I took the early shift. The discussion was moderated by my favorite state party member, Kate Donaghue, who has truly, an encyclopedic knowledge of how the caucuses work. Most of the 30+ people in attendance had participated in a platform convention caucus before, but not a nominating caucus (myself, included) so we had a lot to learn. There was so much information, and great discussion that the time just flew by.

We had to head out so the next group could begin, but Michelle wanted to talk to Nancy Stolberg, state field coordinator about getting Deval out to our area to have a chance to meet with local voters. Michelle made her pitch, and I backed her up. This area, beyond I-495 has a lot of votes for Deval, but he needs to come out here and campaign for them. We talked about a few dates, but it looks like in mid-January we'll be having a visit from Deval Patrick. I can't wait! I think that folks out here will really respond to Deval's message about getting and keeping good jobs, educating families and health care.