Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Call me Deval.

Tonight, I attended the Mass DSC meeting tonight in Ayer. I went so I could get a feel for how the state committee works. As I was walking up the stairs to go into the Great Hall, who should be standing at the top of the landing than the recently announced gubernatorial candidate himself, Deval Patrick. He was greeting everyone as they arrived. I told him that I was happy to meet him and that I looked forward to hearing what he had to say. He told me to call him Deval.

This was my first DSC meeting so I have to admit that things went a bit over my head. Quickly.. Things move very quickly at these things so I didn't get a chance to take a whole lot of notes. But I will say this about Deval Patrick. He is a very good speaker. He got a great reception from the state committee members. I tried to concentrate just on what he had to say without distracting myself with taking notes, so I'm afraid I don't have a lot of detail to share here.

His speech was pretty much as David blogged at Blue Mass Group The essential message I came away with is that Deval is about the politics of hope. That's the message he highlighted. He wasn't interested in the politics of cynicism or political bloodsport. He is a very effective speaker. Lots of applause and enthusiasm. Which was great.

However, like everyone else that has blogged about Deval, I would really like to know more about where he stands on the issues and how he plans to run the State. I am planning to go see him speak again in Stow. I hope he gets more into issues in his stump speech and on his website

Yay! Massdems finally has a blog